International Bachelor Communication and Media
General Rules and Procedures for Graduation
Students complete the IBCoM programme by writing a Bachelor thesis. In order to obtain the bachelor’s degree in the academic year 2012-2013, 14 June 2013 is the ultimate date on which you must hand in the final version of their Bachelor thesis.
You will hear within 10 days (so, Monday 24 June the latest) if the thesis is sufficient. Students who obtain a grade lower than a 5.5 for their final version have two weeks (until 8 July) to improve their thesis. If students eventually do not receive a passing mark, they will have to write a new thesis in the next academic year.
1 August is the deadline for the supervisors to submit the grades of the bachelor thesis to the Education Office.
Hand in research proposal and bachelor thesis via SIN Online
In order to enable a plagiarism check and digital storage the final version of the bachelor thesis will have to be submitted via SIN-Online.
The Bachelor Thesis Channel for IBCoM (course code CM3051). The moment your supervisor is known and you have started your thesis you will find your name and the name of your supervisor in this channel. In the manual you will find how to hand in your work.
You also have to submit two hard copies of the final version to the supervisor (intended for him/her and the co-supervisor). In addition to this, you have to submit an abstract (approx. 500 words) via SIN Online, as well as an associated list of key words for publication in ThesisWeb.
Assessment procedure bachelor thesis
- On the basis of an overview submitted by the Education Office, the coordinator of the Bachelor's Thesis Class draws up an assessment framework, which states the supervisor and second reader and submits this to the examination board.
- Once the supervisor has awarded a passing grade to the Bachelor's thesis, he/she completes the assessment form and submits a hard-copy of the thesis to the co-supervisor.
- On the basis of the assessment form, the co-supervisor assesses within one week whether the Bachelor's thesis can be awarded a passing grade. Independently of the supervisor, he/she completes his/her own assessment form, including an indicative grade.
- The co-supervisor informs the supervisor of whether the thesis can be awarded a passing grade and of the indicative grade for the thesis. If the co-supervisor believes that the thesis cannot be awarded a passing grade, or if there is a difference of more than two points between the two grades, the supervisor requests arbitration from the chair of the examination board.
- The supervisor completes a results sheet for the student, including the grade, and submits this to the Education Office. The supervisor sends a final assessment form to the Education Office and the student digitally.
Curriculum assessment questionnaire
During the bachelor’s programme you were regularly asked to fill in course evaluations. As you near graduation, we are interested in hearing how you reflect on various aspects of your programme. To this end we have developed a digital curriculum assessment questionnaire, which has to be filled in before you submit your application for the Bachelor’s examination.
Application procedure bachelor diploma
Before 9 August 2013 you have to submit your request for the bachelor's diploma at the Education Office (L3-33). The request can only be processed once you have received confirmation that your thesis is 'sufficient' (you will receive this 24 June the latest).
If you plan to leave the Netherlands before this date, you can submit the documents already; but will have to notify the Education Office by e-mail once you have received a sufficient for your thesis. Then the documents will be processed by Exam Administration.
You will have to hand in the following items:
- Request Form (copy will be sent to your e-mail address; print & sign this form)
- BA-2/3 Overview (students started in 2009 use this form, students who started in 2010 use this form). This must be approved by the IBCoM Programme Coordinator.
- Study Progress Overview (can be obtained from Osirisstudent)
- Front Page of your Bachelor Thesis
Next to handing in these documents to the Education Office, you will have to:
- Upload the Final Version of your Bachelor Thesis on SIN-Online
- Submit two hard copies of your final thesis to your supervisor
- Complete the curriculum assessment questionnaire
Once you meet all the requirements, and the Education Office has received all your documents, your application will be transferred to the examination administration of Erasmus University.
The Graduation Ceremony will be held in October - you will receive your diploma then.
Will you attend the Graduation Ceremony? Confirm your attendance through this Registration Form.
If you are not able to attend the Graduation Ceremony, there are two ways to get a hold of your diploma:
- Authorize someone to pick up your diploma for you.
The authorization form is available on the ESSC website.
- Pick up your diploma before you leave the Netherlands.
Please note, it is not possible to have the diploma printed before the 1st of August. So if you will be leaving the Netherlands before August, the only option is to authorize someone to pick up your diploma.
If you will be attending the graduation ceremony, it is not possible to receive your diploma before this date.
Before you receive your diploma, how can you prove that you have completed your bachelor degree?
Once all grades have been registered correctly in Osiris, you can go to the Erasmus Student Service Centre (E-building) where you can go to the exam administration of ESHCC.
In order to get a certified transcript of records. Please make sure that you get one that includes an overview of the number of credits per exam component, a so-called student progress report ("studievoortgangsoverzicht").
For more information, please read and study this PDF document carefully.
Direct links to the documents needed to request your Bachelor Diploma: