Master’s programme Cultural Economics and Entrepreneurship
Creativity and entrepreneurship
Creativity and entrepreneurship are leading themes in the cultural sector, as well as in the so-called new economy. The Master’s programme Cultural Economics and Entrepreneurship in Rotterdam revolves around these themes.
Students acquire a solid background in cultural economics and research methods. They learn about the latest theoretical developments in the economics of:
- art markets,
- cultural organizations,
- creative industries,
- marketing of cultural goods,
- and about culture beyond markets.
In seminars, workshops and during fieldtrips you will apply what you learn to actual cases. Students regularly participate in organizing events in our department, gaining practical experience. In a thesis you pursue a topic of your choice, and you develop the skills to conduct your own research.
- The CEE Master is ranked 2nd in the world in “Arts and Cultural Management” according to www.best-masters.com (out of 46).
- The CEE Master is ranked 1st in the Netherlands by Elsevier (out of 5).
Our program is unique in its approach
The cultural sector is going through a turbulent period. Our students acquire the skills to identify and exploit the opportunities of this situation. Economics helps us to do so in several ways:
- The arts are increasingly addressed in terms of financial and economic considerations. Our students will train to argue convincingly in this framework and to challenge preconceived ideas.
- The cultural sector reveals fundamental challenges in mainstream economics, and we address alternative approaches.
- Careful application of economic theory and empirical research are powerful tools for making reasonable predictions about further developments in the context of digitization and changes in public policy.
Our program should not be confused with a conventional course on cultural management. We put a greater emphasis on cutting-edge theory and original empirical research, which is an important aspect of market research, strategic management, and many entrepreneurial projects.
The Master’s programme Cultural Economics and Entrepreneurship in Rotterdam will be ideal for two types of students:
- students who are driven by an academic curiosity about the arts, cultural industries or economics;
- students who want to develop original and well-founded ideas about how to produce, sustain and disseminate culture.
Successful graduates have an edge as researchers in related fields, as employees in cultural organizations, and as entrepreneurs. Our graduates are working for government agencies dealing with culture, consultancies, and cultural organizations. A sizable minority have founded their own business.
We usually accept 40 to 50 students into our program from over a hundred applications. About half of our students are Dutch, the other half comes from all over the world. Students are accepted on the basis of previous academic achievements and a well-documented interest in the cultural sector. You will study alongside other students who have extensive professional experience in the field.
Enthusiastic team of lecturers
This English-language study program is conducted in a personal and interactive atmosphere. Teaching and assessments are varied over the year – including lectures, written assignments, presentations, debates and project based learning. We expect a lot of our students.
An enthusiastic team of lecturers supports the students, guaranteeing intensive and individual tuition. This applies also to your work on a Master’s thesis, during the second half of the program. You will exchange ideas and experiences with lecturers and fellow students regarding your own research.
During an Erasmus Master Open Day, you can follow information sessions about the master specializations you are interested in.
Contact a student?
You already visited us during an open day, and you got even more interested in this master…but you want to know more! If you are keen to find out more about how current students experience this programme, please fill out this form. We will send you an email so you can get in touch with a master student.