Master History of Society - Specialisation Global History and International Relations
The Master's degree programme History of Society is tailored for talented and motivated students. Your background may be in history, or a related discipline.
You can apply if:
- you have a university Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in history
- you have a university Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in social sciences, humanities, or a Bachelor’s degree from a university college. It is imperative that you can demonstrate that you have undertaken coursework in history (e.g. through electives or a minor).
Proven ability in English (at least TOEFL600/250/100 or IELTS 7.0) is required. Proof of English proficiency is not required if:
- You are a native English speaker (i.e. a national of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada - other than Quebec -, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and the USA) and/or
- You have obtained an international Baccalaureate with English at higher or standard level or a European Baccalaureate diploma with English as first or second language, and/or
- You have obtained your diploma of higher education (academic level) in English (the entire programme).
Because the total number of students is limited, the following criteria will be taken into account in the admission procedure:
- academic writing skills,
- analytical skills,
- average mark Bachelor,
- relevant extra-curricular activities,
- and above all: motivation.
The selection procedure requires a motivational letter, a mark list of the Bachelor, a CV and an (already written) academic paper.
For students who have a Dutch HBO degree, such as the educational HBO History, Social Studies (Maatschappijleer), Economics or Geography, we offer a one-year pre-master program (in Dutch). Other HBO degrees will be taken into consideration on an individual basis by the Exam Board. After completing the pre-master pogram, you will be eligible to start in the Master History of Society..0