Vacancies Media & Communication
Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC)/ Faculty of Philosophy-procedure for finding and selecting candidates for the PhD’s in the Humanities competition
The aim of the PhDs in the Humanities funding instrument is to increase the number of young talented researchers in the humanities, and to facilitate their progression on the academic career ladder.
NWO eligibility criterion:
- The candidate is required to complete his/her Master’s studies before September 1, 2014
Please consult the call for proposals at:
Deadline: 4 March, 2014, 12.00 hours
(Please note, the first internal deadline is 16 December, 2013 – see procedures below)
ESHCC and the Faculty of Philosophy together may submit proposals within the PhD’s in the Humanities competition equalling 3 fte. ESHCC invites and encourages eligible candidates to acquire a ‘ticket for submitting’ in competition.
Erasmus School of History, Culture, and Communication (ESHCC)/ Faculty of Philosophy- ticket for submitting
To be able to acquire an ‘ESHCC/Faculty of Philosophy ticket for submitting’, candidates, in cooperation with the intended PhD supervisor or co-supervisor (full, associate or assistant professor) are invited to fill out the NWO PhD’s in the Humanities ‘Richtlijnen voor het opstellen van een aanvraag’. Several units are involved in the acquisition and selection process. The process per unit is described below.
Department of Media and Communication
The Department of Media and Communication may submit two proposals for the internal Ticket for Submission for the PhD’s in the Humanities-competition. Proposals will be submitted by the intended PhD-supervisor or co-supervisor. In case the intended supervisor is not a full professor, the proposal should also be supported by a full professor who will serve as "promotor".
The intended PhD-candidate should play a major role in the writing of the proposal.
Proposals for the Department of Media and Communication link up well with themes as described at: http://www.egs3h.eur.nl/research/media-and-communication/.
PhD-candidates that would like to apply, and who do not already have contact with a potential PhD-supervisor, are kindly requested to contact the head of the department, prof.dr. Susanne Janssen (s.janssen@, tel. +31 10 4082443). eshcc.eur.nl
Applying is possible for two types of positions:
- a PhD-position: four year contract; 75% research tasks and research related training activities and 25% teaching tasks and teaching related training activities;
- a PhD-lecturer position (five year contract; 60% research tasks and research related training activities and 40% teaching tasks and teaching related training activities;
The selection process of proposals will include two stages.
For stage one, we invite applicants to hand in:
- Short CV of the applicant, including overview of experience with PhD supervision, key publications and past performance with grant acquisition (max 4 pages)
- CV of the proposed candidate, according to the “Richtlijnen voor het opstellen van een aanvraag”; please include:
- Judicia (grade point average and thesis grade), prizes, scholarships and grants
- Relevant academic experience
- Other relevant positions
- Motivation for doing PhD-research
- In case of candidates who apply for a PhD-lecturer position the CV should also include details about the candidate’s teaching qualifications and teaching experience in the field of Media and Communication and/or research methodology.
- Summary of the proposed research, including title, introduction of topic, research question, method and relevance (in deviation from the NWO form: max 1 A4)
Please consult the “Richtlijnen voor het opstellen van een aanvraag” on the NWO PhD in the Humanities website:
Deadline for submitting is: 16 December, 2013
A selection committee will inform all applicants on its decision 20 December, 2013 at the latest, and will invite two applicants to draft a full PhD-proposal according to the NWO-guidelines.
Stage two involves:
- Submitting the full-proposal for the internal ESHCC / Faculty of Philosophy competition
- Have an interview with the selection committee
Deadline for submitting is: February 13, 2014.
The interviews will take place 24 and 25 February.
The ESHCC selection committee will inform the applicant and the candidate on its decision on 26 February, 2014.
The selection committee will consist of:
- Prof.dr. Koen van Eijck – head of Department Arts and Culture Studies
- Prof.dr. Susanne Janssen – head of Department of Media and Communication
- Dr. Gijsbert Oonk – head of Department of History
- Prof.dr. Wiep van Bunge – professor History of Philosophy
The committee will make use of the following criteria:
- Academic track record of the applicant: experience with PhD supervision, quality of publication list, past performance with grant acquisition
- Academic performance of the proposed PhD candidate: Grade Point Average (GPA), grade final thesis (if possible), scientific output
- Quality of the proposed research (cf. NWO criteria PhD in the Humanities call)
- Connection of the proposed research and the proposed candidate with both the NWO domain of Humanities and the research domains of the Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication and/or Faculty of Philosophy.
The selected candidates will be offered interview training.