Vacancies Media & Communication
Full Professor (HL) in Media and Business (f/m, 1.0 fte)
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Carry out empirical top research that is published in leading international journals;
- Develop one or more relevant areas of research in the field of Media and Business;
- Supervise PhD students, postdocs and other researchers;
- Expand the Department’s national and international research connections in the field of Media and Business;
- Generate substantial external research funding from national and international funding agencies and other organizations;
- Participate actively in the Erasmus Research Centre for Media, Communication and Culture (ERMeCC), the Erasmus Graduate School for Social Sciences and Humanities, and a relevant national Dutch research school, as well as in relevant international scientific associations and networks.
- Perform teaching and supervising tasks for the International Bachelor’s programme in Communication and Media and the master’s and research master’s programmes in Media Studies;
- Play a central role in the development of the above degree programmes, in collaboration with the other chair holders;
- Take responsibility for the development of courses and areas of concentration in his or her own field of expertise;
- Contribute to the expansion of international exchange and internship opportunities for students of the bachelor’s and master’s programmes offered by the Faculty.
- Perform various management duties at the level of the Department, the School and the University;
- Play an active role in relevant national and international academic networks and organizations;
- Develop and maintain close contacts with relevant organizations and professionals in the Netherlands and on an international level.
Profile Report Chair Media and Business
The successful candidate considers it a challenge and a privilege to play a leading role in the development of the degree and research programmes of the Department of Media and Communication at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
She or he has:
- A PhD degree in a relevant social science discipline (e.g., media & communication, business administration, economics, sociology, organizational science);
- At least ten years of post-PhD experience at an international level;
- An excellent research track record, including publications in leading academic journals in the field and/or books with internationally renowned publishers. The candidate ranks among the top 5-10% of his or her peer group;
- A relevant international network providing a solid base for acquiring international research funding;
- A proven capacity to develop, acquire, execute and direct externally funded (international) research projects;
- An excellent track-record of teaching including large scale lectures and intensive forms of small group teaching and experience with teaching international, multicultural classrooms;
- A strong track-record of performing managerial roles and administrative duties;
- The capacities to act as a genuine coach and leader. The candidate should be flexible and have broad academic interests and an open, effective management style;
- An open attitude with respect to interdisciplinary work;
- A distinguished international reputation as well as high visibility in the field through memberships of editorial boards, boards of academic organizations, and advisory committees;
- Proficiency in spoken and written English. Non-English speakers have to meet the
C1-standards of the Common European Framework (CEF). International applicants are expected to acquire the Dutch language within two years.
Conditions of employment
Employment starts in September 2014 at the latest.
The successful candidate will be offered a fixed term contract of four years. Depending on performance, the successful candidate will be offered a permanent position as full professor.
The conditions of employment correspond with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities (CAO NU). The gross salary depends on qualifications and experience, and ranges form €5,003.- to € 7,285.- per month (salary scale H2, of the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities).
The EUR has attractive employment conditions, which include a holiday allowance of 8.0%, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and 41 annual vacation days in case of a full workweek. Substantial tax benefits apply to non-Dutch citizens conditional on the permission granted by the Dutch Tax Office.
Additional information can be obtained through one of the following links:
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from:
To apply, please send your application letter with your resume, publication list, a description of courses taught,(copies of) three key publications, (copies of) teaching assessments and the names and contact details of three referees before May 10, 2014 by e-mail to vacancies@ to the attention of Ms. E. Meeuwisse. Please mention “HL Media and Business”. eshcc.eur.nl
An assessment will be part of the selection procedure.
Working at the Erasmus University Rotterdam
Working at the Erasmus University Rotterdam means working in a professional environment, where development is encouraged through an active career and mobility policy. The Erasmus University Rotterdam highly appreciates flexibility: we have a 38-hour workweek, flexible working hours, possibilities to work part-time, and maternal/paternal leave. Moreover, the University has a company childcare scheme, possibilities to participate in a terms of employment option model, company savings program and life insurance schemes and favourable collective insurance schemes. Employees can also make use of facilities such as sports facilities and library.